New Patient Information Q & A Sheet
Do We Take Insurance: Yes, Dr. Allen does. However we MUST verify your coverage with your insurance company first in order to quote you the copay or coinsurance fees. If verification is not done ahead of time, you will be considered a “cash Patient” and will pay the cash fees (quoted below) at your initial appointment.
To verify your insurance, you MUST do the following prior to your appointment or you will be charged our cash fees. Click here for our hours, info and cash fees.
- Take a picture of the FRONT and BACK of your Insurance Card and
- Email it to: DrAllen@sdri.net
- Include the patient’s FULL NAME regardless of whether it is on the card. (Often there are various family members listed.)
- Include the patient’s FULL Date of Birth
- Include a phone number we can call you if info is missing.
Dr. Allen will confirm via email what your total cost will be for your initial New Patient Appointment. (If you are an existing patient, we MUST have your 2018 Insurance verified prior to your appointment as well. The same instructions apply. Please do so immediately so we can book your appointment asap! We do have Same-Day Appointments!!)
What If I Have a Deductible On My Insurance Plan: We still have to check to see if it applies. Sometimes when a doctor is “In-Network” the deductible is waived. So ANY person with Insurance should follow the instructions in #1 above. (A deductible means that insurance will NOT pay any doctor UNTIL you/the patient have met that entire Deductible. Processing takes up to 30 days. So even if you just paid a hospital bill, it may still show you owe!)
- If it comes back that you Do Still Have a Deductible to Meet… it will be $167 for the Initial Examination (or Re-Exam if it has been over 1 year for existing patients) … and an additional $69 flat fee if we do any treatment, therapy, or home exercise plans at your appointment. But YOU can decide at your Exam if you want treatment at that time. We book an hour just in case.
What If I Don’t Have Insurance/Or Choose Not To Use It: That’s no problem. You are considered a “cash patient” and the same $167/$69 as stated in #2 above applies. (Of course this doesn’t mean you need to bring cash to your appointment. We take M/C, Visa, Discover, American Express, Debit cards, HSA & FSA cards … and cash if you prefer.)
For the record, we are NOT in network with Medi-Care, Medi-Cal, or Tri-Care. So you too would be considered a “cash Patient.” If Active Duty, bring your Military ID and it is $135/$62 instead of the fees above.
- Detailed “Superbill” Receipts are offered at each visit if you have an FSA, HSA, or require one for other purposes. However you MUST ask the Front Desk for this receipt at checkout. We cannot email them, despite wanting to save paper.
What Do Orthotics Cost & Will My Insurance Cover It: The cost for a single pair is $367. If you want 2 pairs made at the exact same time (perhaps for a running shoe and a hiking boot, or work shoe) the cost is $500. This 2nd pair discount does NOT apply if you purchase another pair at a later date.
Most insurance does NOT cover the cost of “CUSTOM” orthotics when made at our clinic. However, we can supply you with a Superbill (as stated above in #3 if you’d like to submit it on your own.
If I Only Want Orthotics, Do I Have To Pay for the Exam Too: Yes. Our expertise in diagnosing IF you need orthotics, WHY you need them, and HOW to best resolve your issue/injury is a separate service in addition to the cost of the product and it’s manufacturing time and expertise. So yes, plan on paying the $167 Exam fee in addition to the orthotic cost itself. (If however you DO have insurance coverage, or you are an existing patient, the cost of the Orthotic appointment is only the copay or cash fee you will be quoted later today.)
What If I am an Existing Patient & Was In Less Than a Year Ago: Then it will just be the copay we quote you after checking your 2016 insurance, or the flat $69 cash fee … if your insurance does not apply or a deductible.
How Can I Get an Appt Quickly: Just do the following immediately …
Go to our website/fill out the “Patient Intake Forms” COMPLETELY!
Do NOT skip sections. It’s CRITICAL that you fill out everything (except the insurance page … IF you have already emailed your insurance card to Dr. Allen)…. THEN CLICK the “SUBMIT” button to securely create your file. AFTER doing so just CALL (see below) to complete the process:
Can I Just CALL the Office to Schedule My Appt: Yes, of course …
858-268-8525 … however we request you make sure to do the following:
- ALWAYS leave a message, often the staff are on other lines and you will roll right into voice mail. But we do NOT have caller ID, or a way to know you have called. So by hanging up it’s as if you never called us.
- Include your FIRST & LAST Name, and if you are a NEW Patient or Existing Patient.
- Include the best phone number to call you back, AND the best time to reach you. (Sorry … we cannot send/receive texts. This is a landline.)
- Explain what you need, AND if you have already emailed your Insurance card, AND that you completed the Forms online. This will help to speed the booking process. Often we have same day appointments … so providing these 4 things ensures a quick reply!!
Here are our normal business hours of operation and a link with directions to our office in Kearny Mesa … just off of Aero Drive & Glen H. Curtis …near the Montgomery Field Airport: https://www.sdri.net/contact-us/
Monday – 12pm – 7pm
Tuesday – 8:30am – 7pm
Wednesday – 8:30am – 2pm
Thursday – 12pm – 7pm
Fridays – 8am – 2pm
CLOSED: Sat/Sun … Outside office hours can be arranged but are an additional $50/$100 regardless of insurance copays, and MUST be Pre-Paid and arranged in advance. Subject to owner’s approval.
If you have any questions about your injury or issue, please feel free to email them to me ahead of time so I can answer them or make sure to address them at your appointment. For various reason, I do not return phone calls unless you have booked and pre-paid for a Phone Consultation appointment. Thank you for respecting my time. I promise to do the same for you … and more. Drallen@sdri.net